Monday, December 04, 2006

The Eden Project : Travel in England

One of the presenters at the recent VEMEX (Europe Tourism/Media Exchange in Toronto) meetings was the intriguingly named Eden Project, and I immediately signed up to learn more. What I learned was, that the very first chance I get to next visit England, I am making my way to Cornwall, where I will spend a day or two touring the Eden Project. The picture here is a sunset shot, provided by the Eden Project. I chose it as it gives the best view of the size.

That a sterile open-pit clay mine could be turned into the world's largest greenhouse is a marvel; that it's been a major boost to the local economy in what was a depressed area is by design. Anyone interested in gardening, landscape design, reclaiming 'dead' land, protecting the environment and much else will learn a lot here, and have a good time in the bargain.

Before I lapse into superlatives, the easiest thing to do is visit the web site, check out the web cam and take a virtual tour (Eden Project). To find out how to get there, click on Visiting.

If you have a car, it seems an easier trip from London. By train and bus, it's a little harder, with the number of transfers depending on where you're coming from. I'll check around and see if some enterprising tour company is offering 1-3 day tour-stay packages and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment