Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Canada Day Port Credit Memorial Park Pictures


Update July 1 2010 Canada Day July 1 2010 Events See you there!


July 1 2009 : Canada Day in Port Credit Sign

The sign is up on Lakeshore Road for this year's Canada Day celebration and fireworks in Port Credit. I'll pop by on the day and take pictures. To see last year's celebration pics, read on!
###

July 1 2008
Picture perfect day, weather-wise here in Port Credit this Canada Day! (For info on Mississauga fireworks for tonight see earlier post) (and for info on Jack Darling park see later post) I had headed up to Lakeshore and Wenonah, to catch the cake cutting ceremony slated for noon. From my house, it's 3.3 km (2 miles) according to Google maps; I had really wanted cake to walk so far there and back!

Still setting up for the cake cutting : delayed
Just as I could see some balloons, etc that signalled the end of my quest, I met Ron, the intrepid publisher of the Mississauga News, who was leaving this venue, as, he said, the ceremony, etc had been moved back to 3 p.m. Since it had just gone noon, I couldn't see hanging about for 3 hours either, and missing all the fun back along the Credit River and Lakeshore.

Paint the Town Red - Even the White traffic lines!


I had noticed that the white traffic lines had been given red outlines, and every so often a tiny maple leaf was stenciled in the centre of the white line. From time to time, in the gaps between white lines, a small Canada flag appeared. Now I don't know about you, but I think that this shows great attention to detail. Well done, whoever!!

Memorial Park Port Credit Canada Day 2008

Back at the Credit River and Lakeshore, in Memorial Park, bands were playing, vendors vending and happy revellers reveling! A cool breeze blowing, flags waving, and sunny skies!

The Bouncing castle
Having a great time -- the skateboard park is just behind the castle.

Credit River Views From the Lighthouse in Port Credit

From the observation deck at the landmark Port credit lighthouse, I could see a boat ease its way up the Credit River past Memorial Park and the Canada Day celebrations.

Traffic on Lakeshore Mississauga - Park and Walk

I took this shot also from the lighthouse deck, above the bridge that crosses over the Credit River. Traffic had been heavy all day, and at the time of this photo, it was just past 2 p.m. By now, I had had a good walk around town, with a stop at Scoops for my fave cone, Polar Paws ice cream on a waffle cone.

Scoops, if you haven't guessed, is our local ice cream shop, just a block or so east from here, and the lines were out the door. A short while before, I had a nice chat with a couple who had come from North York and forest Hill - "just out for a drive" - and stopped to join in the fun. Most restaurants are open, or will open for their usual dinner hours, and, as Port Credit is a designated tourist zone, many shops are open as well.

I hope to head back around 9 p.m. to see the fireworks. Happy Canada Day, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment