Thursday, March 16, 2006

Solo Travel

If you really want to travel, then you have to accept the fact you have to travel alone.

It's not that there's a scarcity of people who would love to come along with you on a trip. It's simply that it won't happen. They can't get away when you want to go, they say they'll come then want to change the route, the dates, the hotels, the tours -- sometimes even the destination. And that's not what you had in mind. If your heart's set on Borneo, say, then a week at an all-inclusive resort is just not going to cut it for you.


But truth be told, I *like* going alone. It's the one chance to be in control, as much as is possible on any long trip. I get to eat what I want, see what I want, sleep when I want -- you get the idea. And when you are on your own, I find, people are more likely to strike up conversations. Not the 'hit on you' kind, but the kind where they are interested in why you are on your own, and maybe feeling a little sorry for your solitary state. When you're with another person or two, you appear self-sufficient.

So although a friend has asked for details about coming with me to Borneo, I know ultimately, she won't, and that's just fine with me. For more than anything, I want to travel, so that's what I'm going to do. Go it alone? Just watch me!




No comments:

Post a Comment